Thursday 5 November 2015

Tanglewood TW460 SN (Hand crafted semi-acoustic guitar)

The Tanglewood TW460 SN is a hand crafted mid range semi-acoustic guitar model which is a cedar-top version of the TW400m. Tanglewood are known almost exclusively for their work with acoustic and folk style guitars and their best selling models are acoustics as well. Therefore, a lot of time is put into their individual construction in order to reach the level of perfection that is desired by manufacturers and consumers alike.


Sound

The TW460 is a beautifully crafted instrument. The design allows for the unique light and ringing tone that it produces. In addition, the neck alignment, largely due to the truss rod, means that every fret gives you a crystal clear note. Furthermore, it is an excellent choice for anybody that intends to use the harp harmonics technique due to the very same point. Once amplified, the instrument loses none of its acoustic resonance nor its clean tone and works well for all genres but most notably for acoustic rock, blues, folk and jazz.

Design

The TW460 SN sticks to a simple but satisfying design. The neck is relatively thin so that it is more comfortable to formulate barre chords. This makes it easier for the guitarist to play. In contrast however, the lack of a cutaway on the body makes it rather difficult for the player to get much higher than the fifteenth fret, particularly whilst standing but this is probably due to the fact that the TW460 was made for acoustic music and therefore was not built to be used as a lead instrument.

Overall, the TW460 SN is a clean and lightly toned guitar and it would suit any style. I have this exact model and I am constantly complimented by friends who try it on how nice it sounds and feels. I agree with them as I believe it is one of the best semi-acoustic guitars I have ever played.

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed the information and i am aware this was a long time ago but i thank you very much for your feedback. I hope you are still well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How much would tw 460 sn cost when new

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good afternoon my friend. That's a good question. I bought mine second hand from Cash converters over here in Greater London and I paid £100 for it. I would imagine that you'd be looking to pay twice that for a brand new boxed acoustic Tanglewood TN460 SN so I'd say £200. They are rather rare to find though as I believe them to be discontinued. I also apologise for the many months between your question and my reply. I find I'm so busy with life these days that I don't get the time to focus on blog. I hope you are well and stay lucky.

    ReplyDelete